Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Making Everyday Count

I found out this morning that two university music students were in a car wreck last night, and that one of them lost their life as a result. I didn't know either of them. They are several years younger than me, but I have friends that were deeply affected. We decided today to dedicate our Opera, Amahl and the Night Visitors (November 15-17 at First Baptist Church of Opelika-shameless plug), to the two girls.
Our director, Dr. Michael Koon, said something today that resonated so deeply with me that I knew I had to write about it. He said something to the effect of: performing is a priviledge, and now two of your classmates no longer have that priviledge. We need to treat every performance as our last.
That hit me pretty hard. It made me realize how incredibly fortunate I am to be able to pursue something that I love, instead of something that will just pay the bills. I was given a talent by God, and it is now my responsibility to use it to the best of my ability. That doesn't mean being lazy and waiting for things to be handed to me. It means going out there and working for it and TAKING them because I EARNED them. It means treating every performance as the last time I will ever walk onto a stage. It means learned from my misteps to do it better the next time. And means never taking one moment for granted.
Hug your friends. Tell them you love them. And do what you love. Because you never know when you won't be able to anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment