Wednesday, June 10, 2009

So You Think You Can Dance...Dance...Dance

Tonight is the first live night of one of my favorite reality shows, So You Think You Can Dance. Because I am now obsessed with this whole blogging thing, I am going to include a moment-by-moment review of tonight’s performance show.

Here it goes with the very first solos of the competition! Here are my favorites:
1. Brandon: right off the bat he is coming ready to win-he is one to watch!
2. Evan: his old Hollywood style is so refreshing. Not to mention I think he is just adorable!
3. Jeanine: I mean wow. Why haven’t we seen more like her on this show? Bring on the ballet!
4. Phillip: need I say more? I have loved him since last season. SO glad he made it through Vegas week healthy this time! Prediction: this boy will be in the top 4 (if only because I will obsessively vote him there every week, but still!)
Overall, from the first introductory solos, I’m gonna go ahead and say that the guys are way stronger than the girls! There were a few female standouts, but for the most part, I was disappointed. Where are the Katee’s and Chelseas?

Cat Deeley is looking fierce as always in a white mini-dress intricately embellished in gold and silver. And now the “jidges.” Love ADAM!!! So happy he is judging tonight…but Mary? Is she drunk? She just needs to calm down!
Step Up 3D???? WHAT??????? OMG. Can’t wait to see that!
Nice chill inducing montage of the “dancers’ roads,” appropriately set to one of my favorite songs The Fray’s “You Found Me.”

And now onto the couple dances.
1. Jeanine and Phillip: I mean do Tabitha and Napoleon EVER disappoint? Two of my early favorites, Jeanine and Phillip, did a lyrical hip-hop routine to Neyo’s “Mad.” Not one of my favorite songs, but this dance made me love it! Nappy Tab’s moves have the ability to make any dancer look good, and I have to say that Jeanine did a great job stepping out of her style into an extremely difficult genre to master. As far as Phillip-the boy can do no wrong by me! The choreographers really showed him off this week, utilizing his amazing popping skills in a way that integrated beautifully with the choreography and story. An “un-freakin-believable” way to start off the live competition!
2. Asuka and Vitolio: Tyce Tyce Tyce…I love Tyce’s choreography but this whole piece was lost on me. A Broadway piece to a number from Chicago, this dance was fun, but didn’t make me want to get up and dance for joy. Asuka really seemed to capture the style, but Vitolio didn’t grab my attention at all. Overall, fun, but slightly disappointing. Apparently, the judges agree.
3. Karla and Jonathan: Tony Meredith’s Salsa routine to one of my favorite songs “Poker Face” by Lady Gaga did not disappoint. While I don’t know anything about the technical elements of Salsa, I do know that I had fun watching them dance. The choreography was fun and exciting, but the dancers were a little stiff. Jonathan really stole this number-it’s clear he doesn’t have all the experience of some ballroom dancers we have seen in the past, but he is cute as a button and has real stage presence.
4. Randi and Evan: Tyce’s jazz piece to “I Only Have Eyes for You” is my favorite piece of his to date. He took each dancer’s individual style and made it work with their partners’. This piece really combined traditional jazz movements with more contemporary and even some hip-hop movements in a way that told a love story so effectively. Randi was one of my favorites during Vegas week, and it was a relief to see her dance out of her unitard! Evan…I mean really. I just want to hug him! His technique is so beautiful and I don’t want him to stop dancing-it is such a privilege to watch him dance!
5. Paris and Tony: Nappy Tabs hip hop routine was just ok. The exact opposite of their first number, this routine was filled with up-beat music and exciting musical choreography, but the dancing left some to be desired. Paris was such a surprise-she stepped out of her style and hit it pretty well. Tony is cute…but that was about it for me. He didn’t hit it as hard as I wanted him to, but I still like him a lot and I hope he stays!
6. Caitlin and Jason: This Bollywood routine was so exciting! It was fast paced and filled with super intricate movements that I couldn’t tear my eyes away from. I am always amazed when people do this style well, and they really did it justice. Technically, I don’t know anything about the style, but the intensity with which they danced was so effective, so it looked right on to me!
7. Jeanette and Brandon: This Foxtrot to Michael Buble’s “Come Fly With Me” was beautiful. Again, I don’t know anything about the Foxtrot, but it looked pretty phenomenal! It flowed across the stage with grace and ease that was reminiscent of Fred and Ginger. I am so excited to see this side of Brandon-he portrayed a beautiful character and danced well to boot! The lift at the end was executed with strength that took my breath away.
8. Ashley and Kupono: Wade Robison is one of my favorite choreographers. His choreography is always so different and exciting and this number was right on par. Although the choreography could be a little difficult for the general public to understand, I found it beautiful and captivating. Ashley and Kupono danced it with technique that was almost flawless.
9. Melissa and Ade: Mandy Moore’s piece choreographed to Richard Marx’s “Right Here Waiting” captivated me from the very instant it began. I don’t know if it was the music, the fake wind, or the costumes, but something had me. They technique was flawless, and Ade’s strength made some of the most amazing lifts I have EVER seen look like child’s play. And don’t even get me started on Melissa’s feet…I mean REALLY!
10. Kayla and Max: Talk about the hot tamale train! This Samba was sexy and fast and exciting! Max’s hip action blew me away…I couldn’t take my eyes off him! Kayla was phenomenal in her Barbie flapper dress-is it really possible she has never done ballroom?? If they can do other styles like they did ballroom, this may just be the couple to beat! What a way to end an exciting night!

My prediction? Tomorrow, Asuka and Vitorio will go home.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with all your comments. What amazes about this show is how it has hooked your dad....especially since dance is definitely not his forte! We don't watch until get gets in from class and neither one of us want to wait to start the Tivo! I don't think Asuka will go home....I think it will be Paris and Tony. Remember that it's not the couple that goes, but a boy and a girl. I think Asuka is such a strong dancer and that she will stay. We'll see tomorrow night! PS - have you ever considered using your amazing writing skills after graduation?????

    ReplyDelete